Mammals - invasive

Nutria (Myocastor coypus) on Apr 22, 2008

Submitter does not have a specimen

Description of specimen

Nutria Undermining the bank


How can I get rid of them???

April 22, 2008, 2:10 p.m.

The Center for Lakes and Reservoirs at Portland State University offers great website information on nutria. The website address is

To answer your question, the best option in your particular situation is to contact Wildlife Services and encourage them to send out a trapper. If the property is owned by you, and is located outside city limits, then it is legal for you to humanely eliminate the nutria. Trevor Sheffels at Portland State University (his contact information is on the PSU website noted above) is available to discuss these options with you.

I have listed the Wildlife Services contact information below. They can put you in touch with local Wildlife Services staff.

Oregon Wildlife Services State Director
6135 NE 80th
Suite A-8
Portland, OR 97218
Phone: (503) 326-2346
FAX: (503) 326-2367

Lisa DeBruyckere
April 23, 2008, 2:08 a.m.